Thursday, July 1, 2010

Broken leg

When I was six years old I was playing with my friend in her back yard one day, we were standing in the middle of the yard when her dog Honey came running toward us.  Honey wasn't running to attack us, I believe she was running toward a flock of birds that had landed at the end of the yard.  Unfortunately for me, Honey was not going to change course, she was heading in a straight line and I was in her way.  So I did what I thought would be a sensible thing to do, considering that I had little time to react - I jumped OVER her and twisted my left leg, breaking it at the knee.  Honey kept running, she didn't turn around or try to attack me, so I knew it wasn't me she was after, it was the birds.

The break was so severe that I was unable to straighten my leg out, it was bent back behind me.  My friend's dad carried me home because I was howling in pain (he had no idea my leg was broken), then my parents took me to hospital.  I had to go under a general anaesthetic to have my leg straightened and put into plaster, then I stayed in hospital another couple of weeks because I was so traumatized by my experience that I refused to do a bowel movement and the hospital refused to let me go home until I did. 

This could be related to the freeze response I had with Jack a few weeks ago when he came running at me barking and threatening to bite me, but I don't know for sure.  I certainly don't have a fear of dogs, I love them and have had a few as pets throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!