Saturday, May 22, 2010

I hate my 3rd class teacher

The only time I ever truly felt thin and thought I looked thin was up until the age of 7.  I looked a healthy, normal size in photos, even now when I look at my class photos I was just a regular size kid, the only real difference I noticed between me and my friends was that I was the tallest girl in the class, I was even taller than many of the boys.

When I was 8, my school teacher decided it would be a good idea to weigh each student and display our weights on a poster in our classroom. To this day I still don't remember or understand what the point of it was, but it drew attention to the fact that I was heavier and I clearly recall a boy in my class teasing and laughing at me because I was the heaviest girl in the class. I was probably only 5-6kg or 12-14lb heavier than most of the girls, I certainly wasn't "chubby" or fat, but I definitely felt that way from that day on.

Thanks alot Mrs Mallett (or Mullett, as we called you).  You took away a part of my childhood that I should have been able to experience without feeling so self-conscious.

By the age of 11, I was definitely starting puberty so I started to fill out even more and that was when I truly started to feel that I was being judged by my size.  I was one of five girls in my class who were nominated for school captain and we were marched around to each classroom by the school principal so that students could vote for who they wanted as captain.  I felt so self-conscious standing there in front of all those kids, and I got the least votes.  Those kids were judging me and giving votes to the other girls, purely on how we looked.  They knew nothing about me, they didn't know that I was the smartest student in my class or the best speller, all they cared about was how I looked.  What a stupid way to choose the school captain, what possessed the teachers to let the students decide?  My confidence took even more of a beating that day and I started to feel even more ashamed about my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!